These lemon sour cream sugar cookies are so soft and moist. They have a fresh lemony change from the traditional sugar cookies.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my grandma’s sugar cookies. But these lemony cookies are a great way to start the summer. They will be perfect for the holidays, picnics or just relaxing with friends and family.
Kids are sure to love them too. This dough does not need to be chilled or rolled. Just stir, drop and bake. How easy is that! Oh, and don’t forget the frosting.
Ashley from The Recipe Rebel received a cookbook that her grandmother had made her and this recipe was in it. I love using these old recipes, they are tried and true. Give them a try, you’re sure to love them.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar (approx. 400g)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream (I use 5%)
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4½ cups all purpose flour (about 575g)
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons*
- yellow food coloring, optional